Ann Esselstyn’s Mommy’s Mushroom Gravy
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic minced
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced (about 2 boxes of the sliced button mushrooms)
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 2 tsp white miso
- 2 T whole wheat flour or gluten free flour mixture
- 2 T low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 T cooking sherry (optional)
- black pepper
- Saute the onion and garlic, until they start to caramelize, about 4-5 minutes
- Add the sliced mushrooms
- The onion and mushroom should release their liquids. But if you do need liquid add a little bit of vegetable broth. Cook until mushrooms are soft.
- In a separate bowl, add all of your wet ingredients (vegetable broth, tamari, broth, cooking sherry)
- Add wet ingredients to mushrooms and continue to stir.
- Cook down mix to your liking. Add black pepper.